Thursday, November 3, 2011

Overload: Day 3

This post is going to be a random assortment of random things. Why? Well, I'm having one of those days. And these are fun for me. This post is called "Overload" for a reason: It's how your brain feels on day 3 of NaNoWriMo. Why? Because you're looking at ALL THE THINGS you have to do and you're slightly freaking out at word counts, at plots, at the number of days that remain and OMG what happens now? Anyone else...?


Let the randomness ensue...

1) This song. I like it and it's stuck in my head and wanted to share it. It really inspires me to write a post about world building. I'll probably do that soon. Stay tuned. (Note: I love/hate world-building.)



2) This morning at work all the things were broken! (and they keep breaking. They're overloaded) ALL THE THINGS. The phone, the internet (someone typed google into google!!*), the scheduling system--and one of the PTs called out sick. It was mass chaos for about ten minutes. And then, it was quiet.

It was quiet and I had nothing I could do. No internet to distract me. No twitter. Only Patricia--who was at work, working. She let me toss out some plot ideas with her. And for two hours, I got to think about plot and about my character and about what is supposed to happen in the next scene. Sometimes those next scenes are killer.

So I started plotting.

I made a list of all the things that need to happen still in the book. The big things. And then I thought about where my characters are and where they are going. How will they get there? I picked two things that could happen first--whether they have an importance now or later--and now there's a scene awaiting when I get home. I'm pretty pumped about. Everything's about hit the fan in my WIP.

3) Here's a line from my WIP.
I’m going to die today.

Everything inside me wants tell Xenith I changed my mind. Wants me to run and hide. But I know I can’t hide from death. Not when I’m putting myself right in its path.
4) Go read this interview with debut author Jennifer Rush (Altered, 2012). It's a character interview--and her boys are HOT. And funny. Everything mine strive to be.


5) I'm very excited to write tonight. I love when I'm excited because it's GREAT motivation to write scenes well. Which is different than just writing scenes, even for Nano. (Be my buddy!! @DanielleEWrites)

I need to go now. I've had a lot of Skittles today and my brain is overloaded by the work I'm not doing and should be.
What about you? What are you doing this week? Are you overloaded by anything? Do you want a Skittle?



*This reference is because of the show The IT Crowd. You should watch it. I love it--and love to quote it more. It's on Netflix and is (seriously) a 24 episode commitment--and they're only 30 minutes each.

1 comment: