Monday, June 17, 2013

Hola! I'm Kimberly

Hola, everyone. My name is Kimberly and (like Chrystal) I'm super excited to be joining the Tangled girls. Below you'll find the answers to my interview questions, complete with a mortifying photo of me from 1997 (Pay attention not to the blue cast on my dislocated wrist, but to my fabulous orange kicks -- wish I still had those). Disfruta! (Enjoy)


If you could be any item on a Mexican restaurant menu, what would you be and why?   
Guacamole. I'm not an outstanding cook, but if there's one thing I make that rocks, it's Guac. (Oh, that nearly rhymed). The key is garlic. People rave about my guacamole. It's an ego boost.


If you were an item of clothing what would you be and why?  
I would be my pair of orange Vans sneakers from high school. They were loud and vinyl and memorable. 

When's your birthday?   
April 14th

What quote inspires you most? 
“The first draft of anything is sh&t.” -Ernest Hemingway

What's a pet peeve you have?  
My writing pet peeve is when the models on book covers look nothing like the character described in the book. In one book I read, the main character was described as having long, wavy auburn hair and the model on the book cover was clearly a blonde. This drove me nuts for the entire story.

A non-writing pet peeve I have is when people talking during concerts. I went to a Tori Amos concert and the guy behind me was talking during Tori's performances. I couldn't concentrate on her songs. Instead, I was listening to this annoying man's commentary. So, I turned around and yelled at him. (And I'm not confrontational by nature). I mean, who talks when Tori's playing? Who does that?


Something about you that no one would know just by looking at you? 
I went to bartending school when I was in college. I spent two weeks learning how to mix drinks and the only one I can remember now is a vodka and club.


Who's your favorite princess and why?  
Ariel from The Little Mermaid. I love the songs from the movie. Plus, Prince Eric is a total hottie.

Why do you want to write within the YA genre?  
I love YA. I only read YA and I only want to read YA. I mean, I'll read an adult book but not very often. There's something gutsy about YA literature and the authors who write it. I want to be a part of it -- of all of it.

Which YA book character are you most like? Explain.  
I'd like to think I'm similar to Hermione from Harry Potter. She's smart, and she secretly craves adventure. Sounds about right.

Plotter or Pantser?  
I am a plotter. I have two small kids. They want my attention all the time for things like eating and surviving and stuff. I have a small window in which to work so I have to outline, otherwise I waste time. Turns out, when I plan accordingly, I write quicker and finish sooner.

What do you like to do when you get stuck while writing to help work through it?  
I solve a lot of my writing problems when I'm driving. Something about being away from my computer and just focusing on the road helps clear my mind and fix those plot bunnies.

Was there a specific book you read that inspired you to start writing?  
I've been writing my whole life, so I can't name one particular book that inspired me to write. But authors like Holly Black and Maggie Stiefvater inspire my writing because they are such talented women.

What is your single most favorite thing (feel free to be as vague as you like) about your current WIP? 
My setting. The story takes place in Key West, Florida. Two years ago, I went there on vacation and writing my novel is the only way I can get back there without actually having to fly there.

What book from childhood do you most wish you had written? What book from the past year?  
My favorite childhood books are The Moffats series by Eleanor Estes. I actually didn't start reading them until I was in my early teens and my mom brought them home from the library because she had read them as a kid. I love the sweet, old-timey Americana to them. I wish I had written them. Currently, I wish I had written The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. I'd do anything to be so clever.

Two truths and one lie about yourself.
I have a two-year-old sister-in-law.
I've been to Spain four times.
My favorite band is The Afghan Whigs.


5 comments:

  1. I second the cover peeve- also when they do a book to movie adaptation, and the characters don't have the same hair and/or eye color. Really? How hard is it do squeeze out some dye and buy some contacts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just screws with our mental picture of them. Worse is when I see the movie first and then I can't the actor or actress out of my head when I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you here, Kim!

    Also: I totally agree about YA being gutsy. I mean, some YA lit takes more risks (in content, format, etc) than others, but the case could also be made that the whole idea that teen characters get their own stories/their own voices is inherently a gutsy idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny that you mentioned The Raven Boys! As I was reading through your answers and came to Maggie's name, I totally thought, "Man, I didn't think about it when I did mine, but I wish I had written The Raven Boys!" And for the exact reason you listed :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Hermione! I also love The Raven Boys - can't wait for the second book!

    ReplyDelete