Friday, November 29, 2013

NaNo Makes Me Jealous




I had planned to participate in NaNo this month. Really, I did. I knew from the time I signed up for July’s Camp NaNoWriMo that I wanted to participate in November. However, like most of my plans, there was a kink: we were moving. Between getting everything out of our old house and getting things set up in our new house, I just didn't have the time--or brain power--to get organized and ready to spend a month writing as close to 50K words as I could manage. Even knowing that, I still started off the month being jealous of my friends who were able to participate.

NaNo makes me jealous because I want to be able to write 50K words in one month. And because I want to have the motivation and nagging sensation that I need to sit down and write. Between homeschooling activities, my crochet/knitting/sewing business, and general life happenings, writing takes the back burner. Always. But having that goal and deadline--like I did back in July--I actually get stuff accomplished. It’s just about the end of November and I’m still jealous that I didn't’t get to experience that. I’m also jealous that my word count is no higher than it was when November started. *sigh*

Because I’m trying to find an optimistic way to look at NaNo (while keeping the green at bay), I’m going to try to mooch the last of the NaNoWriMo vibes over the last two days of November and try to hit a goal of my own: rewrite the first chapter of the MS I’m revising. Maybe that will help me get past my envy. And more than that, maybe it will remind me that I’d rather not be jealous of all my friends next year. I’d rather be one of them and participate in my first actual NaNoWriMo.

If you participated in NaNo this month, how did you do?


 photo a66a1aa4-a08e-48a2-bfcd-efc2d4fd1687_zpse4db374f.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Not a Nano-er here! I enjoy reading about it and cheering people on, but I just can't see me writing 50,000 words in a month, ever. More like four months for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In July I hit 21K and that's a personal best for me. For my first manuscript I averaged 4K a month. I aspire to be a NaNo winner! And yes, I also enjoy cheering people on (though I'm secretly jealous of them)!

      Delete